Thursday, April 14, 2011

PANTRY RAID!!! Or...How to fight waste, save the world, and still make it home for dinner.

What can I say...It's Thursday.
Working late Wednesday night and early this morning, I arrived home tonight scatter brained and with no idea what to make for dinner.

I am attempting to empty out the pantry and fridge.
Taking inventory of the kitchen, the conclusion was made that "This is why the rest of the world hates us".
While I joke that I am preparing for a zombie apocalypse, reality is, no 2 people need this much food.

First step and tip to save money while attempting to clean out ones fridge and prevent waste:

Pick an ingredient. Any ingredient.

Ok... Chances are you aren't concerned about wasting salt, flour, sugar, garlic...So be creative!

I had leeks on hand that I wanted to use up.

www.allrecipes.com has a search by ingredient feature, or simply google it.

Second? Find what else you have excess of and work it into the recipes.


Learning to substitute is the best thing you can do.
Why go out and spend money on leeks, when you have scallions or green onion at home?
If the recipe calls for elbow pasta, go ahead, live it up and use bow tie!


My strange assortment of:

Leeks
1/3 a bottle of white wine in the fridge
A few slices of bacon
Mushrooms
Cherry tomatoes
Almond milk

All needed to be used within the next few days.

Saute, add butter and flour to thicken and create a roux, sprinkle in some salt, pepper, nutmeg (yes, it is delicious in cream sauces) and toss with elbow macaroni.

There you have it.



We are living frugal, and avoiding the dreaded Kraft "blue box"

I successfully used up the ingredients in my fridge, and avoided a stop by the store to spend another $20 on food for one meal.

I am one proud woman. Yup, it doesn't take much.

1 comment:

  1. Love it Emi! I agree with you-we have to stop being so wasteful and learn to be thankful for what we have! Vanessa M.

    ReplyDelete